The Bible is the sole basis for everything we believe and teach at the Brown Street Church of Christ. We have no formal creed other than the New Testament. However, because there are varying interpretations of biblical doctrine in the religious world, Brown Street’s elders have developed this Statement of Faith to clarify our understanding of Truth in some of these matters.
We believe …
- There is only one God, the creator of all mankind.
Ephesians 4:6; 1 Timothy 2:5; Deuteronomy 6:4; James 2:19; 1 Corinthians 8:4-8
- All human life is sacred and is created by God in his image, including pre-born babies.
Genesis 1:27; 1 Timothy 4:3-4; Revelation 4:11
- Members of the church are those individuals who believe that Jesus is the Son of God, confess him before men, repent, and are baptized for the remission of their sins.
John 20:31; Acts 2:38; Acts 9:20; 2 Corinthians 1:19; 1 John 5:5; 1 John 4:15; Romans 10:9-10; Philippians 2:11; 1 John 4:2-3, 15
- There is a place called heaven for those who love God and obey his holy Word.
John 14:1-3; Philippians 3:20; Colossians 1:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:16; Hebrews 8:1, 9:24; 1 Peter 1:4
- There is a place of eternal punishment for those who reject God and his plan of salvation.
Luke 12:5; Matthew 23:33; 2 Peter 2:4
- God foretold the coming of Christ, his Son, into the world.
(351 Old Testament prophesies fulfilled in Jesus Christ)
- God sent his Son into the world to deliver us from our sins.
1 John 4:9
- Jesus Christ is the Son of God who died for our sins on the cross and rose again to live forever with God.
John 20:31; 1 Corinthians 1:9; 2 Corinthians 1:19; 1 John 5:20; Matthew 3:17; Mark 16:15-16; Romans 1:4
- We can rise again after our death to live with God.
Acts 23:6; 1 Corinthians 15:12, 13, 21, 42
- The Scriptures support worship and communion on the first day of the week.
- The Bible is the inspired Word of God that provides us with God’s plan for our salvation, and tells us how we should live as Christians.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Through the grace of God, man is offered salvation.
Acts 15:11; Ephesians 2:5, 8-9; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 2:11
- To achieve salvation, we must be baptized for the remission of our sins as God has commanded through his Word.
Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38, 41; Acts 8:12, 36-38; Romans 6:3; 1 Corinthians 12:13
- We have a responsibility to spread the gospel throughout the world.
Mark 16:15; Romans 1:8; 1 Timothy 1:15
- Our worship is to praise and glorify God in a manner that is pleasing to him as set forth by the Bible.
Matthew 4:10; Luke 4:8; John 4:23-24; Romans 12:1; 1 Corinthians 14:26; Hebrews 12:28; Revelation 14:7
- We are to hold fast to the principles of the New Testament, and neither add to nor take away from God’s inspired Word.
Deuteronomy 12:32; Proverbs 30:6; Revelation 22:18-19
- Marriage is a covenant relationship between a man and a woman until death parts them. Therefore, we cannot allow a marriage ceremony that would not be between a man and a woman to be performed on our property or by any of our staff.
Genesis 2:24-25; Romans 7:2
- Sexual immorality includes adultery, fornication, and homosexual behavior; it is sinful and offensive to God.
Exodus 20:14; Deuteronomy 5:18; Proverbs 6:32; Matthew 5:27-28; Matthew 15:18-20; Mark 10:19; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Romans 1:26-32
- Mankind can change and turn from their unrighteousness.
Matthew 4:17; Mark 6:12; Luke 5:32; Luke 13:3-5; Acts 2:38; Acts 3:19; Acts 17:30; Romans 2:4; 1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Corinthians 7:10; 2 Peter 3:9
- Forgiveness is offered to all mankind, but there must be a change of actions.
Daniel 9:9; Matthew 26:28; Luke 1:77; Luke 15:10; Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; Acts 3:19-20; Acts 13:38; Ephesians 1:7; Colossians 1:14
- God will forgive all who practice any sin if they repent and follow God’s written Word. God loves all people, and does not wish that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
Daniel 9:9; Matthew 26:28; Luke 1:77; Luke 15:10; Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; Acts 3:19-20; Acts 13:38; Ephesians 1:7; Colossians 1:14; 2 Peter 3:8-10